TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Tight timing belt tensioner.
People Seeking Info

Subject Tight timing belt tensioner.

Posted by Tanley on April 08, 2015 at 9:39 PM
  This message has been viewed 693 times.

Message So I've been trying to achieve a 4mm gap on a new tensioner and it's just not happening. I'm thinking the belt I have is just slightly on the tight side.

Here is some background info:

120k service was done with all brand new Nissan OEM parts except for a set of RameyZ idler pulley studs.
I have used the procedures listed in the tech section, Z32wiki and the FSM. I have taken the timing belt off twice and repeated the procedure for lining everything up. No problems there, everything seems to be lining up fine. The problem comes when I try to set the tension. The tensioner was at 4mm when it came out of the box. I installed the tensioner and started the mounting bolts and nut finger tight and this is where i believe the problem begins. I am having to compress the tensioner a lot just to get the left bolt (looking at the front of the engine) started. So much in fact that the tensioner begins colapsing from the pressure I have to exert to thread in the left bolt on the tensioner. Once the tensioner is torqued down, it begins to colapse further. The tensioner is in the loosest position as far as I can tell by referencing the slotted bolt holes on the tensioner. The gap is currently at 3 mm and that's the best I have been able to get out of it.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Only thing I can think of is the belt is a little tight from the factory or the tensioner mounting slots are slightly off, not long enough to let the tensioner slide away from the belt?

Would I be OK leaving it at 3mm? Or is that too far collapsed?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.